Christmas comes with exciting savories and some delicious treats. These quick and easy Nutella Donuts are a perfect breakfast for a holiday morning. Super soft and super tasty buns are a retreat for everyone. Call them buns or donuts they just taste amazing.
I love the smell of bread baking specially on a cold winter morning. These Nutella Donuts are super easy to make and taste delicious when served hot. Try them for breakfast with a hot cup of coffee and they will be a delight for all.
I still remember the day I was making these at home, the moment they were out of the oven, and by the time I would put the second batch, the first batch would get over. And the same continued for 2 more batched when I had to ask them to leave some nutella for me to finish my shoot and take some pictures.
All the pictures that you would see on this post are from the last batch of these donuts which I literally had to take it and hide it so that I can click some pictures.
This recipe is somewhat similar to my homemade bread making recipe, which you can check here, With the difference that these buns will be more sweeter and I have used eggs to make them even softer.
- Flour: I have used All Purpose flour, as it makes the buns more soft. But you can even use wheat flour. Just remember that wheat flour would make the buns more dense something like the whole wheat bread. So unless you like the the dense bread, you could substitute All Purpose Flour to Wheat Flour. You could even do a half and half. meaning, half wheat flour and half all purpose flour.
- Sugar: You could substitute with coconut sugar or any other plant based sugar or even light brown sugar.
- Egg Yolks: I would not recommend not using egg yolks. As egg yolks add moisture to the nutella donuts and makes them soft.
Step by Step process with pictures
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together half flour and all the dry ingredients and keep them aside.
Add the milk, butter, vanilla extract and the egg yolks and whisk together until combined together.
Cover and rest for 10 minutes till bubbles form.
Add the remaining flour, and knead it into a soft dough.
Grease a container and place the dough. Cover it with cling wrap and place it at a warm place and let it rise for around one hour or till it doubles in size.
Turn out the dough on a floured surface and roll it to 1/2 inch thick. Now cut circles using a cookie cutter. Re-roll the scraps and redo the cutting process till all the dough has been used up.
Place these buns on a lined baking tray and cover them with cling wrap and let it rest for about an hour or till they are puffed. In the meanwhile, preheat the oven at 190’C.
Once the donuts are puffed, place them in the oven, and bake them for 10-12 minutes.
Once they are golden brown, take them out, and on these hot donuts, brush some melted butter. Now immediately roll them in a bowl with powdered sugar.
Now cut a deep slit on the side, and pipe in some nutella with some piping gun.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can these Nutella donuts be Made without Eggs?
Egg yolks add softness and moisture to the buns. Since we do make breads without eggs so ideally you can make these nutella buns or nutella donuts without eggs but I have not tried making them without eggs. As they are usually eaten as a sweet dessert, they will not taste good if they are not too soft.
Can I fill in anything else except for nutella in the Donuts?
Yes, a berry jam or a chocolate syrup or even a biscuit paste like the lotus biscoff will taste great as a filling for these donuts.
If you’ve tried this tasteful Nutella Buns recipe or any other recipe on BakeGrillFryCook, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Nutella DonutsCourse: DessertCuisine: American
Incredibly soft, tasty and melt in the mouth delicious. These homemade nutella donuts easy and a must have breakfast for holiday mornings. They are irresistible.
2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 1/4 tsp yeast
2/3 cup warm milk
4 tbsp butter
1/2 vanilla extract
1/4 cup of powdered sugar
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup nutella
- In a large mixing bowl, add 1 cup of flour, salt, yeast, sugar and mix them all together.
- Add warm milk, 3 tbsps butter, vanilla extract, and egg yolks and whist them thoroughly until all combined. Make sure there are no lumps in the mixture.
- Cover it with cling wrap and let it rest for 10 minutes until some bubbles form on the surface.
- Add the remaining flour, part by part and start kneading into a soft dough. Knead it for about 5-10 minutes.
- Cover the bowl with a clean wrap and let it rest for at least an hour or until the flour doubles in size.
- Once doubled, turn the dough out on a floured surface, and roll the dough to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut circles with a round cookie cutter. Re-roll the scraps and continue the cutting process till the entire dough is used.
- On a lined baking tray, place these buns and cover with a clean wrap and let them rest for an hour or until they are puffed.
- Once puffed, bake them in a preheated oven at 190’C doe 10-12 minutes, until they are golden brown from top.
- As the buns are right out of the oven, brush them with the remaining 1 tbsp melted butter and roll them on the powdered sugar so that the sugar coates the buns from all sides.
- Cut a deep slit from one side, and pipe in nutella with a piping gun into each bun.
- Use all measurements correctly.
- Remember to brush melted butter on hot buns.