This super tasty, gluten free, vegan, dairy free, healthy granola bars using just 6 ingredients. These are a perfect snack to curb the mid-meal hunger. They are perfect to be given to kids (only if they do not have a nut allergy). I am sure you would love making them and they will always be there as a go-to snack in your fridge.
My husband, Manish has a thing for granola bars. He just loves them. Also due to his work related requirements, he cannot really have a proper meal time. Thus granola bars to the rescue. He always bought these bars from the grocer and I would never approve of it as somehow I do not have the trust on the sugar content mentioned. Being a marketeer myself, I know that this is an amazing field wherein we tell the customer what he wants to hear.
Thus my trial and error started for these granola bars until I perfected the recipe. It is a simple 6 ingredient recipe with 5 main ingredients and 1 is an optional one. The optional one is basically the chocolate chips as again Manish is a chocolate lover too. So if I have a slight tinge of chocolate somewhere, it would make him to have it.
So from the time I am making these at home, I am so so happy that he doesn’t buy these from stores anymore and since these granola bars are so quick and easy to make, it doesn’t bother me either to make them. The cherry on the cake is, my son loves them too… makes me so so so happy.
So without any further delay, let’s get to the recipe and also do check out the recipe video. But before that have a look at some tips.
Watch Me Make it…
Substitutions for making the Best Granola Bars Ever!
- Oats: To make it gluten free, I used the gluten free oats. Now you could substitute that with regular rolled oats.
- Maple Syrup: One can substitute this with Agave or honey. Depending on your preference. I prefer a plant based version, thus used maple syrup.
- Chocolate Chips: These are completely optional. No change in taste if you plan not to add them.
- Dates: Although i recommend using Mejdool dates as they are very soft and tasty. But if you do not get Mejdool regular dates will also do just make sure the dates are sweet.
- Peanut Butter: If you wish you could use any other plant based virgin oil which would work just perfect.
Step – By – Step Process with Pictures
- Roast some Oats and Almonds.
2. Till the time the oats and almonds are getting roasted, deseed 7-8 Mejdool dates. Once that is done, blend the dates in a food processor into a paste.
3. Take some peanut butter in some hot maple syrup and stir to melt it.
4. Once the oats and almonds are roasted, roughly chop the almonds. Take a bowl, add all the ingredients together and mix well.
5. In a lined square tin, place the granola bars mixture and press it hard so that the mixture sets.
6. Refrigerate it for 2 hours. After 2 hours, take them out, and cut it into desired shapes.
Nutritional Benefits of these Healthy Granola Bars
- Dates: Dates are a powerhouse of proteins.They are equally rich in vitamins such as B1, B2, B3 and B5 as well as contain A1 and C. They are free from cholesterol and help in improving bone health. They are rich in Iron and helps to promote digestion. Thus adding dates in my recipe makes it extremely nutritious.
- Oats: Oats are rich in nutrients and proteins. Oats are rich in antioxidants and fibers and also helps in reducing cholesterol.
- Almonds: Rich in nutrients, rich in antioxidants, a powerhouse of vitamin E. It is believed that Almonds are the world’s best source of Vitamin E.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do the ingredients of the Granola Bars stick together?
This is the most important step, to make sure the ingredients stick together to form a bar. Thus I use, maple syrup and dates. Dates anyways are sticky in texture and since this is a no bake recipe, thus they work really well.
Why my Granola Bars are not forming a Bar?
Once you place the mixture in a square tin, it is very essential to press it firmly in order for them to form a bar. You could also use a heave surface to press. I usually use the backside of a glass to press it firmly and then refrigerate.
How long do Homemade granola Bars last?
They would last for about 1 week if kept in an airtight container at room temperature.
Which Oil can be used to make Granola Bars?
Any plant based virgin oil should work well for making these bars. If you want to add some more flavor, you could add coconut oil too.
If you’ve tried this tasteful Granola Bars recipe or any other recipe on BakeGrillFryCook, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
More Dates Recipes
Healthy Granola BarsCourse: AppetizersCuisine: Other world cuisineDifficulty: Easy
Healthy, super tasty, gluten free, vegan, dairy free granola bars using just 5-6 ingredients. These are a perfect snack to curb the mid-meal hunger. They are perfect to be given to kids (only if they do not have a nut allergy). I am sure you would love making them and they will always be there as a go-to snack in your fridge.
1 3/4 cup rolled oats
1 cup almonds
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup peanut butter
8-9 Big Mejdool Dates (or any other dates 1 cup)
1/4 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- On a lined baking tray, roast the oats and almonds at 170’C for 15 minutes flipping them mid way.
- Once roasted, roughly chop the almonds. Keep it aside.
- Deseed the dates and place them in a food processor and make it into a paste. Do not add water.
- Heat the maple syrup, and add peanut butter. Now stir it thoroughly so that the peanut butter melts and gets mixed with the maple syrup.
- In a bowl, Add the roasted almonds and oats, date paste, peanut butter and maple syrup and the chocolate chips.
- Mix everything well.
- Once mixed, place the mixture into a lined square tin, and press it hard so that the mixture takes the shape of the tin.
- You can even take the help of the backside of the glass to press the mixture.
- Now refrigerate it for 2 hours.
- Take it out and cut in the shape of bars.
- Store it in an air tight container for upto 7 days at room temperature.
- Can use any other Virgin Oil in place of peanut butter.
- You can replace chocolate chips with coconut chips, vanilla, etc. But this is entirely optional.
- In place of Maple syrup you could use Agave or honey.