Green sauce, coriander sauce, coriander chutney, cilantro sauce is made with fresh coriander, ginger, rock salt, green chilly, cumin crushed together making it a perfect sauce or dip to be served with appetizers. Tasty, easy and quick 10 minute recipe.
In India, we call it hari chutney as hari means green and chutney is for sauce. This is an all time favorite side as it is so versatile and goes with practically everything. It is can be used as a sandwich spread or as a side dip with any snack. Once can also eat it with certain mains specially in the Indian cuisine. You can easily adjust the spice as per taste. It is a super quick 10 minute recipe.
Variations to Green Sauce
- Tomatoes: Tomatoes are added to thicken the sauce so that water does not separate from the sauce. Instead of tomatoes, you can add thick yogurt.
- Garlic: Many people make it without garlic and it tastes as amazing. I like a little garlicky flavour so i have added some.
- Green Chilly: More the green chilly, more spicy is the sauce. If making for children, you can avoid the green chutney completely.
- Mint: Adding some mint, will also give a refreshing punch to the coriander sauce.
Step – by – step process to make cilantro sauce
Take fresh coriander leaves and the soft stems. To wash the coriander, take a bowl of water, dip the coriander for 1-2 minutes. Carefully take the coriander out with hand from the top. This way, all the mud and the other sediments will settle at the bottom of the bowl. Throw away that water. Repeat the process 2-3 times. Place the coriander in a strainer and let all the excess water drain out.
Place the coriander, green chilly, ginger, garlic in a blender.
Add cumin, asafoetida, tomatoes and rock salt. Add a little water and blend in a smooth paste.
Add some lemon juice as per taste, mix and voila! it’s done.
Frequently asked questions
How to store the Coriander Sauce?
Store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will last upto 3-4 days. To store it for longer. Place the sauce in an ice tray and form cubes. Once cubes are formed, place them in a zip pouch and freeze them. When you want to use them, take them out, bring them to room temperature, and use the sauce. By this way, you can store the sauce for 3-4 months.
Can I make the coriander chutney without an electric blender?
Yes, it can be made on a stone mortar pestle. It tastes the best on a stone mortar pestle. But to ease the effort, we use an electric blender.
Why is my chutney bitter in taste?
Many reasons could attribute to the bitterness:
- stale coriander or mint leaves
- grinding too long in an electric blender
- adding stale lemon juice
To avoid bitterness, always use fresh ingredients.
Is Coriander sauce good for health?
Yes it is. It is fresh, as no preservatives. Has no added salts. Since it uses fresh ingredients it is an very healthy alternative compared to other alternatives available in the market.
If you’ve tried this tasteful Coriander Sauce recipe or any other recipe on BakeGrillFryCook, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
More Tasteful Recipes
- Basil Pesto
- Schezwan Sauce
Coriander SauceCourse: SaucesCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
Coriander sauce is made with fresh coriander, ginger, rock salt, green chilly, cumin crushed together making it a perfect sauce or dip to be served with appetizers. Tasty, easy and quick 10 minute recipe.
1 cup fresh coriander
1 inch ginger
2 garlic cloves
pinch of asafoetida
pinch of rock salt
1 small tomato
1 green chilly
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Wash the coriander thoroughly.
- Place the coriander, asafoetida, green chilli, ginger, garlic, cumin, tomato, rock salt in a blender.
- Grind all the ingredients together to make a paste.
- Pour the sauce in a glass container.
- Add the lemon juice and mix.
- Adjust the salt and the lemon juice as per taste.
- you can avoid adding tomatoes. You can add 1 tbsp of yogurt instead. Or if you do not like the tangy taste, avoid it completely.
- While grinding add a little water. Say about 1 tbsp.