These healthy chicken cutlets are a powerhouse of proteins, fats, vitamins and minerals and thus make them very healthy for kids. Besides being healthy, they are packed with flavors and readily available ingredients. These are very versatile and can be adjusted as per liking. This is a 10 minute recipe and I am sure your kids will love them and would definitely ask for more. Enjoy!!!
These fritters are an amazing snack option or can be served as a meal. They can be enjoyed by the entire family. They are healthy and tasty and when served to kids as a meal, they can be accompanied by sweet potato fries. I always try to come out with innovative ideas to make meals for my toddler so that he enjoys the taste and yet I feel satisfied that his meal was a wholesome one. Try this recipe and I am sure you would agree with me.
Variations to make Healthy Chicken Cutlets
- Protein: I have used, chicken as the main source of protein in this recipe. But you can interchange it with cottage cheese, organic soya crumbs or tofu. The chicken can also be replaced with fish (only if your kids like fish and are not allergic to it).
- Eggs: I have coated the fritters with egg, primarily because it acts as a binder to the mixture and the fritters do not split during frying. But adding egg is not mandatory, if egg is not an option for you, do not worry! There are subtitures with will work as good.
- Gram flour: 1 1/2 tbsp of gram flour can be added to the mixture and this too will give a good bind to the mixture. You can also make a paste of gram flour by adding 2 tbsp of gram flour and a little water and make runny paste. Now use this gram flour paste the same way as the egg is used in this recipe.
- All Purpose flour: You can use the all purpose flour in the same way as the gram flour.
- Bread Crumbs: Bread crumbs were used to make the fritters little crispy. but another alternative to the bread crumbs is semolina.
- Vegetables: Honestly you can use any house vegetables what you prefer. but some would taste great with the overall combination and some not so great. So just keep that in mind, while adding the vegetables.
Step-by-step process with photos of chicken fritters
One golden rule to make food for kids, please finely chop the ingredients. This way they get cooked properly and also lesser chances of anything getting stuck or the child not liking to eat something which essentially you as a parent would want him to eat due to health reasons. Throw in all the ingredients, chicken, mashed potatoes, spring onions, bell peppers in a bowl and mix. The quantities can be varied as per the number of servings. you can easily double the quantity or reduce if you wish to.
Also add some finely chopped garlic, coriander and some grated cheese. If allergic to dairy, please omit cheese. Cheese can be parmesan, cottage cheese or processed cheese. This gives some nice texture to the fritters.
Now add some cumin powder, coriander powder, salt, black pepper. I have also added a pinch of paprika as my toddler likes his food to be flavourful. Please omit paprika and black pepper if you are not comfortable with it. It will not have a major effect on the taste. Mix all of these to a nice mixture before we proceed to coat the fritter with eggs and bread crumbs and then fry them.
Slightly oil your hands before shaping the fritters. Shape the fritters into small balls, coat them completely with egg and bread crumbs before frying them immediately. The coating is important as this will not let the fritters split white frying them.
Tips for frying fritters
There are some essential pointers one has to know before frying the fritters.
- Always fry the fritters when the oil is really hot. As if it is not really hot, and honestly we do not want that to happen, right.
- Now the moment you put the fritters in the oil, reduce the heat to medium. By doing so, you would give time for the ingredients inside to get cooked completely.
- If the oil is not too hot while frying, there are high risk of the fritters to split and also they would become very chewy.
Frequently asked questions
Can I bake the chicken vegetable fritters instead of frying them?
Yes, you can. Shape the fritters, Just coat them with egg not with the bread crumbs. Place it on a baking tray lined with a parchment paper and bake at 200′ C for about 10-12 minutes flipping them over halfway.
Can I make and store the fritters ahead of time?
Yes. Once you shape them, you can place the fritters in an airtight container and freeze them around 4-5 days in advance. When you want to cook, thaw them to room temperature and follow the frying or baking method to cook.
What happens when the fritters are not fried at medium heat?
If fried on high heat, they will get cooked from the outside very quickly but will remain undercooked from the inside. LEaving them for a slightly longer to wait for them to get cooked from inside would mean that there is a high risk of the fitters getting overcooked from the outside and you would get a burning taste while eating.
If cooked on medium heat, this will make all the ingredients get cooked evenly from the inside as well as outside. But always remember to put the fritters in hot oil.
What to serve the chicken vegetable fritters with?
For kids, these can be served with sweet potato fries along with some home made guacamole or salsa. Honestly they taste the best with salsa or coriander and mint chutney.
If you’ve tried this tasteful Chicken Vegetable Fritters recipe or any other recipe on BakeGrillFryCook, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Chicken Vegetable FrittersCourse: Kid Friendly, SnacksCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
These healthy fritters are a powerhouse of proteins, fats, vitamins and minerals and thus make them very healthy for kids. Besides being healthy, they are packed with flavors and readily available ingredients. A super easy 10 minute recipe.
100 gms boneless chicken, minced
1 small boiled & mashed potato
2 tbsp finely spring onions
1 tbsp finely chopped bell peppers
3 -4 finely chopped garlic cloves
2 tbsp finely chopped coriander
1/3 cup cheese
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
pinch of salt, pepper, paprika
1 beaten egg
3 tbsp bread crumbs
- Place all the ingredients, except egg and bread crumbs in a bowl.
- Mix everything together thoroughly.
- Lightly grease your hands, and start shaping into small balls.
- Coat them with egg and breadcrumbs.
- Fry the fritters on medium heat.
- Serve with fresh salsa, mint chutney or guacamole.