This is the perfect Arrabiata sauce that would go well with your pasta and pizza. I have been making it for years and always comes out amazing. So fresh, quick and simple using basic ingredients. With no added preservatives and chemicals, once you start making this sauce at home, I am sure you wouldn’t buy it from the store and it is so quick to make.
Traditionally, Arrabiata in Italian means angry. Thus this sauce was named after the spiciness it contained. It is traditionally made with, tomatoes, garlic olive oil and some dried red chillies. But of course, over the years I feel it has evolved more into a to go sauce for pastas and pizzas. These days it is quite commonly also called as the “Red Sauce” in any pizzeria or a pasta place. Unless of course the fine dining and the traditional ones.
I have my own version of the arrabiata sauce. The main ingredients are the same but there are some additional ones which add a little twist to the whole sauce. Honestly, I have been making this sauce for years and it is a fail proof recipe. And the best part is, it is a super quick and super simple recipe. So it really doesn’t bother even to make it on a busy weekday. You can make it in bulk and refrigerate it and it stays good for 8-10 days. Alternatively, if you freeze it, you can use it for upto a month even.
My recipe uses fresh ingredients (mostly organic) and some others which are readily available. In case you want to use the canned vegetables (specially tomatoes), the taste would not vary much if you keep the measurements same. This is a easily scalable recipe depending on your requirement.
Looking for more Italian Sauce Recipes? Try one of these:
Tips For Making The Perfect Arrabiata Sauce
- Tomatoes: I mostly use Roma tomatoes for making the Arrabiata Sauce. But regular tomatoes would also be fine. Just make sure to use fresh, red tomatoes which are tight.
- Herbs: In this recipe you will find me using herbs like Oregano and Basil, but if you wish to add some Parsley and some Thyme, it would boost the flavour even more.
- Sour Taste: Some recipes use red wine as a taste enhancer in this recipe. But I typically depend on the tomatoes as using fresh tomatoes will have a sourness to them which will be good enough for the recipe.
Watch Me Make This…
Step-By-Step Process With Pictures
- Take about 100 gms of peeled and deseeded tomatoes and roughly chop them small.
2. In a pan, heat some oil, and add garlic. Once the garlic is done, add the onions and saute them till they are slightly brown.
3. Once the onions are browned, add the tomatoes, saute a little and cover for about 2-3 minutes on medium heat.
4. Once the tomatoes are slightly mushy, mash them from the back side of the ladle, add the tomato puree, salt, pepper, fresh basil, oragano and chilly flakes.
5. Add some water, and let it simmer for about 5-7 minutes. Adjust the consistency of the sauce.
6. Garnish with some more basil and the sauce is ready.
Variations for the Ingredients
- Tomatoes: If possible, please use Roma tomatoes. But if they are not available, then use the regular tomatoes but make sure they are tight and red. Alternatively, you can also use the canned tomatoes.
- Herbs: Fresh herbs or dried herbs doesn’t make much of a difference, provided the herbs are added. If for some reason, all herbs are not available where you live, at least try and procure some parsley.
- Garlic: I like the flavour of garlic to be in the right proportion. Not too much, not too less. But if you are a garlic lover and love the strong taste of garlic from the Arrabiata sauce, please double the quantity of the garlic. Also make sure the garlic you add is finely chopped.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can Canned Tomatoes be Used?
Ideally yes. You can use canned tomatoes. Just make sure to adjust your salt content as the canned tomatoes might have some salt already.
Can Sundried Tomatoes be Used?
I would not recommend using sundried tomatoes as they lack juiciness and softness needed for the sauce. Honestly, I did try the sun dried tomatoes, soaking them in warm water etc. but it did not work for the sauce recipe.
Is Marinara Sauce and Arrabiata Sauce different?
Well, typically, when you ask for a pasta in red sauce at your favourite pasta place, it is the Marinara Sauce. Traditionally it is the tomato-based sauce. Usine the Marinara Sauce and adding the herbs and chilly to it makes it Arrabiata Sauce.
How Long can the Arrabiata Sauce be stored?
As long as it is in an airtight container, in the refrigerator, it can be stored upto 7-8 days. But if you wish to store if for longer, you could always freeze it and it will be good to go for a month.
If you’ve tried this tasteful Arrabiata Sauce recipe or any other recipe on BakeGrillFryCook, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Arrabiata SauceCourse: SidesCuisine: ItalianDifficulty: Easy
This is the perfect red sauce that would go well with your pasta and pizza. I have been making it for years and always comes out amazing. So fresh, quick and simple using basic ingredients. With no added preservatives and chemicals, once you start making this sauce at home, I am sure you wouldn’t buy it from the store and it is so quick to make.
4-5 medium size Roma tomatoes
1 medium size onion chopped
1 1/2 tsp chopped garlic
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp fresh basil
1 tsp red chilli flakes
1 tbsp tomato puree
- Peel the tomatoes and deseed them.
- Not chop the tomatoes small.
- In a pan, take oil and heat it.
- Add garlic and onions and saute till the onions become brown.
- Then add the tomatoes, and cover them on medium heat till they become soft.
- Once soft, mash them from the back of the ladle.
- Add some tomato puree, oregano, basil, red chilly flakes,salt and pepper.
- Mix it well and add some water. And let the sauce come to the right consistency.
- Use the sauce for pastas and pizzas.
- Try using Roma tomatoes. If not available, use tight red tomatoes. Alternatively, you can use canned tomatoes as well.